Sunday, May 5, 2013

Back to Oxford for Trinity Term & Holi

I returned to Oxford 2 weeks ago and have been incredibly busy since my arrival! I had an essay due the week I got back and the work hasn't let up since. One of my classes is Western Christianity: 1500-1619 (the Reformation), and the other is on the British Empire. Thus far I've written essays on the medieval Western Church, Martin Luther, and trade in the British Empire. This week I'm working on one about John Calvin.

When I left Oxford in the beginning of March it was still clearly winter. It was overcast and rainy--it actually snowed on the first official day of Spring vacation. Since my return, however, the weather has been glorious. During the dark, cold days of January and February I thought I would never see sunshine in England. Thankfully spring has arrived! The temperatures have gotten up to the mid to upper 60s.

Mansfield's new statue

Mansfield on a lovely sunny day. Construction has somewhat marred the view.

More Mansfield.

A tourist bus on Broad street.

Apparently a wedding took place at Hertford this past week. I caught this picture on my way to class!

Oriel College. I have a tutorial here this term.

Flowers at Oriel.

My friend Hayley at Oriel.

The view from the window outside my tutor's office. Not bad!

I also recently participated in my first Holi! Holi is a Hindu religious festival celebrated mostly in India and Nepal, but it is also celebrated in countries with large Indian diaspora populations. The festival celebrates the beginning of spring, and basically involves people throwing brightly colored powder and water at each other. The Oxford Hindu Society organized the celebration which was held on a large field. At least 200 people showed up, and I was covered in powder by the end!

Nice and clean before Holi.

The ladies before Holi. L to R: Anjali, Hayley, Emily, Sarah, me, and Christina

Mid-celebration/battle: Raul, me, Hayley, Emily.

Brendan, Sarah, and Raul (squirting Sarah with a water gun).

The gang afterward: Jordan, me, Anjali, Christina, Sarah, Hayley, Emily, Raul.

So much fun! 

2 comments: