Friday, May 24, 2013

Punting, New College Boat Party, & general updates

Hi all! It has been a busy past few weeks! I guess it is always busy during term though--the work just keeps on going and going for 8 weeks. In the past five weeks I've written 7 essays, and in the next three weeks I'll write 5 more. This week I'll be writing about the English Reformation and Henry VIII, and also about culture in the British Empire.

Now for some highlights from the last few weeks. A few weeks ago, I went punting with my friends Sarah, Hyerin, and Emily. Whenever I first told people in America about this (my parents, my friend Liz, my boyfriend Mark) they assumed I was kicking something. But in Oxford (and Cambridge) punting is a boating activity. Several people sit in a wooden boat while one person uses a long metal pole to propel the boat. It was much, much more challenging than it looks because it is so hard to steer the boat straight.

Hyerin and me punting!

Sarah and me.

Some of the boats have rather creative names.

Another really fun thing I've done recently was go to the New College Boat Party. New College hired a big boat in London and a few hundred students sailed down the Thames for several hours. It was a black tie event with a mix of live music and a DJ who played great music. It was such a great way to relax after a long week and spend time with friends.


Sarah, Christina, and me by the Tower of London

The boat is in the background

Christina, Sarah and Brendan on the boat

The boat's dance floor and stage


As far as other general updates go, I'm expecting an influx of visitors in the next few weeks. This weekend my dad will be here, then next week my friend Sarah R. will be here. And the week after that my boyfriend Mark will be here, and also my best friend Liz. I am so excited to see all of these people--I haven't seen my dad, Liz, or Mark in about 5-6 months, and my friend Sarah in a year! I will definitely post about their visits.

Finally, a running update for my teammates/coaches who may be reading. I think that I may have strained a muscle in my right hip during the marathon (consultation with my friends who know about these things indicates it might be my piriformis muscle). The reason why I walked the 24th mile during the marathon was because my hips were so sore, so the fact that I have had some pain afterward isn't too surprising.

I spent my first week of the term moping about my hip, but then started heading to the gym to do some non-weight bearing exercise. For about a month I've been stretching my piriformis and working out on the elliptical, which is so much more boring than running outside. But, a few days ago, I went running outside for the first time in about a month and it felt great! It wasn't for very long (about 2 miles) and I stopped halfway to stretch, but there wasn't any pain. Such a relief!

1 comment:

  1. These ways are very simple and very much useful, as a beginner level these helped me a lot thanks fore sharing these kinds of useful and knowledgeable

    information.
    Self Employment Tax
    Tax Preparation Services
    Tax Accountant
    Tax Consultant
    Tax Advisor

    ReplyDelete