Friday, October 5, 2012

Oxford!

Sorry it has been awhile since my last post--I've arrived in Oxford and have been insanely busy!

Mom and I arrived several days ago, and she was here until Tuesday helping me get organized. The past week has been a flurry of orientation activities--being introduced to the library system (Oxford has over 70 libraries!), college tutors (aka professors), and other students.

On top of all of that, I have been given assignments for my first classes! At Oxford, the teaching system is entirely different from US universities. Classes are just one-on-one meetings with professors (there may be one or two other students as well). Before each class, or tutorial, we have to  read several books/articles and write a paper about them. The papers are typically 4-6 pages long. Then you defend and discuss the paper with the tutor during class. Fortunately, we only take two tutorials (classes/courses) per trimester--one of them meets once a week and the other meets once every two weeks. Despite this, though, I am already stressed about school work! For my first tutorial, I am reading several works by Jeremy Bentham and writing a 6-page paper about them.

I'm afraid I haven't yet taken too many pictures of Oxford. I will take more over the weekend and post again soon. Here are the few that I do have:

My college! The weather is deceptively nice in this picture--now it is raining and cold.

Erasmus, our college cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment