Friday, October 26, 2012

Autumn and running

It is finally autumn in Oxford! The leaves are changing and the weather is very dreary--I can't remember the last time I saw the sun. Most of the trees here are deciduous and are losing their leaves. It isn't quite as colorful as the Massachusetts fall I'm used to, but it is gorgeous just the same!

I notice most of the colors when I go running. There aren't loads of trees in the city center--there are just buildings. But when I run I go to trails--Christ Church Meadow, a wildlife preserve, and various parks, all of which have tons of trees. Below are some pictures of Christ Church Meadow which is part of the grounds of Christ Church College, one of Oxford's most famous colleges.

An interesting note about running: people here like to comment on runners more than they do in the States (at least in my experience). They are generally very supportive. The other day, I was waiting at the cross walk near the end of my run. An older man and his wife were also waiting, and he said to me, "Keep goin!" The day after that, I was nearing the end of my run, and someone said "You can do it, keep at it!" I'm not sure if I just look particularly exhausted so they feel obliged to encourage me, or if they are just entertained by the sight of runners (probably both). But I find it quite motivating.

There isn't anything particularly new as far as school goes. I'm still doing loads of reading and writing. Last week I read Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America (not exactly a quick read...) and wrote a paper on it. This week I read John Stuart Mill's On Liberty and will begin writing my paper today. For my Philosophy of Religion class, I am writing a 10-page paper on the question "Assuming there is a God, what is God like?"

Entrance to Christ Church Meadow

Christ Church rugby fields



Some of the many geese that tyrannize walkers and runners.




Possibly the cutest tree ever.

Christ Church meadow with its cows and Christ Church College.

As you can see, the weather has been quite gloomy.

1 comment: